Welcome to Ed-Fi
This introductory course provides an overview of Ed-Fi, including the Ed-Fi Alliance organization and the technology it provides. Academy students learn how the Ed-Fi Technology Suite and Data Standard enable education information systems to talk with each other to provide comprehensive insights into student progress. The course also introduces the Ed-Fi Community, consisting of technologists and educators focused on solving problems and sharing resources.
The learning objectives for this course are:
- Understand how the Ed-Fi Data Standard and Ed-Fi Technology Suite securely and seamlessly connect education technology systems to enable the use of information in a meaningful way.
- Learn how Ed-Fi can help different organizations tackle their data interoperability challenges.
- Explore the Ed-Fi Starter Kits and other resources to help organizations solve problems.
- Learn how to become an active member of the Ed-Fi Community through Ed-Fi events, community workgroups, and other collaboration opportunities.
- Gain hands-on experience with and exposure to tools and resources that guide and support the Ed-Fi journey.
- Understand the importance of a focused use case for a successful start to your Ed-Fi journey.
By the end of this course, Academy students will:
- Understand the many ways Ed-Fi supports student success through the Ed-Fi Community and resources like the Ed-Fi Platform, Starter Kits, Implementation Paths, and Solution Guides.
- Understand the fundamentals of interoperability and data standards.
- Know the basic technical terminology that describes what Ed-Fi does — and how it does it.
- Recognize the terms for the components of the Ed-Fi Data Standard, including domains, entities, attributes, descriptors, and associations.
- Understand the importance of use cases to Ed-Fi development and implementation.
- See how Ed-Fi supports every learner’s success by empowering a community of educators and innovators with real-time, comprehensive data.
Who Should Enroll
- Everyone. This course provides foundational information about Ed-Fi and is a prerequisite for every other Academy course.